Thursday, January 22, 2009

What we are about...

I finished up a little 120 page book called "Becoming the Answers to Our Prayers," the other day. This is where I stumbled upon the prayer listed below.

My thought while reading this prayer was over and over again simply, "Yes. Of course. Yes God."

This is the prayer of Juja Java, which will "accomplish in our lifetime only a tiny fraction of the magnificent enterprise that is God's work." Yet despite it being tiny, this is what Erin and I wish to do with our lives.

"This is what we are about."

Erin and I are both rapidly approaching the end of our college careers. That is scary. Last time we were together, we both sat down to talk about some logistics regarding what the next two years will look like for us. Aside from becoming painfully aware of our financial limitations, we became more and more aware that after spending six months in Kenya, we have no clue.

Yet I think having no clue, no plans post Kenya is beautiful and magnificent in its own way. I think it opens up avenues for us in every direction. And it requires that we have deep seated faith that Christ will direct us in life after college.

I look around my school and I see graduating seniors doing all kinds of things. They are getting married. They are finding their entry level jobs. They are buying homes. They are financing cars. They are planning on working hard and making money. They want to "be something" and "go somewhere."

But for me, the thought of doing any of those things turns my stomach. In my mind, those things are a one way path to becoming what I do not want to become- the insulated, the comfortable, perhaps even the poor in spirit.

And so I find myself and I find Erin turning from what we are expected to do in this next phase of life. We are waiting on God and expecting one huge adventure from now until we breathe our last breathe.

As the books final chapters says, "We are the ones God is waiting on. When we throw our hands up at God and inquire, "Why do you allow this injustice?" we have to be ready for God to toss the same question back at us."

So as God tosses that same question back at us, we focus on now, the next phase, and the future of Juja Java to answer God.

For, "this is what we are about."

-B

No comments: